I love Halloween! I love dressing up, I love candy, I love the fact that kids can all get together knock on doors in their neighbourhood and it’s perfectly normal and friendly. I have a lot of fun, good memories of Halloween. My brother, neighbours, and our friends would all get together at my parents house, we’d get all excited about each other’s costumes and use pillowcases to go trick or treating. We’d come back, unload our loot, sort it by type and then… the candy trades and negotiations would start!
I’m so excited to start new Halloween traditions with Mikayla! I’m excited to see her in her costumes and see her go trick or treating.
Last year was her very first Halloween. She was 3 months old and we dressed her up as Nemo, and I dressed up as a scuba diver. We went to a Halloween party at our friends’ apartment and karaoke’d the night away. This year is especially exciting because she’s walking now and a little more interactive. She’ll probably walk around our townhouse community and trick or treat a little. She doesn’t understand the holiday yet, but I think she likes her costume. To me she’s a juicy strawberry. But she could also be a plump tomato.
A girlfriend found it on Varage Sale for $5. It’s clean and in good condition. I bought her green long sleeve shirt and red tights at Once Upon A Child – a consignment store for kids. The shirt was $2.50 and the tights were $1.50!!
So, her costume was $9 total. When does that ever happen!?
Here are some great places to get Halloween Costumes For Kids:
- VarageSale.com – if you’re not picky and don’t care about buying used. Then this is a great site! Better than Craigslist.
- Facebook Sale Groups – again, if you’re not picky, most of the items being sold in these groups are almost new or are in GUC (Good Used Condition). To find one in your area, just search your city and Kids Buy and Sell ie. “Richmond B.C. Kids Buy & Sell”
- Once Upon A Child – This is a consignment chain, there are a few locations. I like the one in South Surrey the most. Their selection is in good condition, sometimes you’ll even find things that are BNWT (Brand New With Tags). When I bought Mikayla’s green top and red leggings I also bought her pair of almost new TOMS for $12 (I was super proud of that find!)
- Winners/Homesense – Halloween decor and costumes come out mid September! So now is a good time to go looking. Their kid costumes are around $25 – $40
- Costco – Their costumes are out early (like August) but they only carry a handful of styles. So if your kid isn’t picky or doesn’t know what they want to be yet, you can persuade them with an easy, ready to go costume from Costco. Their prices are pretty unbeatable when it comes to buying new costumes! $15 – $20
Zoey doesn’t have a costume. But she won’t wear one anyways. We’ll get her a collar or something festive 😉