Valentine’s Day is coming up and I think it’s important now than ever that Chris and I celebrate it by doing something for us! It’s been a while since we’ve gone on a date so I’ve got a dinner planned at Chewies for the weekend before Valentine’s Day. Then on the day of, we’ll probably stay in and watch a movie (…another thing we haven’t done in a while!)
I love red lipstick! It’s not my go to for work, but on weekends, nights out, date nights, that sorta thing… I go with red!
I have a couple tricks on how to wear red. It’s a high maintenance shade, but once you find the right shade and right texture, you are set for the rest of your life!!!
How to find the right shade of red for you:
When buying a red lipstick find the right shade for you. Do this by looking at your skin tone. I’m olive to yellow, depending on the season. But in the Summer I tan easily so I’ve got more of an olive skin tone. When I’m at the store, I lean towards buying a brick tone, an earthy red, or a berry red.
If you’re fair skinned, you’ll want a red with a pink or blue undertone… think of a fresh raspberry! Bright!
If you’re light skinned, this means you have a yellow skin tone (usually me in the Winter), orangey reds would look so good on you! The one I’m wearing in these photos is an orange based red and it’s called Red Red by Revlon – Matte.
How to apply red lipstick:
- Start with a lip scrub. I make one using solid coconut oil and brown sugar. It’s so yummy! I use my finger and just scrub it on my lips to get rid of any dry skin and flakes. Lick or wipe it off. If you’re using a matte lipstick – lip scrub is a must!
- Line your lips with a matching lip liner. If you’ll be wearing red all day, you can colour in your lips with the lip liner. If you don’t have the matching lip liner, use a lip brush to line your lips.
- Colour in the rest of your lips with your red.
- Blot your lips on a tissue.
- Reapply your lipstick. Blot again.
And voila! Red lips that last for hours and hours!
Here are my favourite reds for an Olive/Yellow skin tone (all under $20!):
- Revlon – Matte: 006 Really Red
- Sephora – Rouge Cream: Crush 23
- Sephora – Cream Lip Stain Liquid Lipstick: 38
- NYX – Full Throttle Lipstick: 10
- NYX – Simply Red Lip Cream: SR05 Seduction
Extra: The lip liner I use the most under a deeper red lipstick is Revlon’s Colourstay Lipliner in Wine.
Amanda is wearing: Revlon – Matte: 006 Really Red